Friday, June 19, 2015

Real Square Man - Like L7

Helena engine terminal

I was shooting around the Helena Depot with my new Olympus SP100 camera, and had unknowingly set the aspect ratio to 1:1, square format. I was both surprised and pleased with the result. I have always been interested in different aspect ratios anyway, so I have been lately exploring square format. One thing I have learned right off, is that you can throw that well worn old rule of thirds right out the window. The rule of thirds works great with the 35mm 3:2 aspect ration, and is based on the Fibonacci Spiral. What seems to obtain instead is a rule of fourths, and the relationship between the subject and the center.

Take the photo above. The sanding tower divides the photo in half vertically, the two units occupy the lower left and right quadrants of the photo, and the mountains occupy the upper quadrants. There is no wasted space on the left and right margins of the photo, as there would have been with a rectangular format. More to come on this subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. You will not be spammed, or Underwood Ham Spreaded either!