Monday, April 2, 2012

Altamont Pass - Then and Nowish, and Two Animal Tales

SP RVSJA on Altamont Pass, California
SP RVSJA at the summit, Altamont, California

I used to make trips to Altamont Pass as often as possible in the early Eighties. I would sleep in my car, usually tucked away somewhere on a dirt road. I was up there for the Fab Four of course, but also for the RVSJA (Roseville San Jose Autos,) which was the only regular SP train on the line.  It was often a very long time between trains, but the pass has a certain feel unlike anywhere else. Despite the incessant wind, it was always a pleasant place to groove with nature. I walked into the haybarn at Altamont siding one spring morning, and was startled to see the hay bales and the floor quiver with movement. I looked down at my feet, and there were thousands of little 1/2 inch long baby toads everywhere! We all became very close friends as I waited for the next train to photograph. The other fun animal diversion involved a hike through the now gone WP tunnel east of the summit (do not try this at home.) The tunnel had a little concrete gutter running along the ties. I was walking west with strong backlighting from the west portal. A mouse, disturbed by my presence, began to scurry ahead  along the trough until he dived into a little 4 inch long fiber insulation tube, about 1 inch in diameter. I bent down to pick up this carboard tube, and carried it out of the tunnel into the sunlight. I lifted it up to my face, and there was my little mouse friend staring right back at me. We exchanged pleasantries and I sent him off on his way. Today the pass hosts commuter trains,  another one for the who woulda thunk department.

Westbound Altamont Commuter Express - March 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. You will not be spammed, or Underwood Ham Spreaded either!